What's New in CA PPM 14.3
The information below is part of the CA PPM 14.3 release notes.
Integration with Rally
CA PPM now integrates with Rally SaaS agile development software. The integration allows an organization to maintain the operational activity in Rally and use CA PPM to focus on project and feature status and budget. The Rally Integration provides visibility on work status information about Rally Portfolio Items from CA PPM. Stake holders have portfolio and project visibility to make the right decisions. The integration eliminates redundancy as project artifacts are seamlessly managed between CA PPM and Rally. The CA PPM Rally Integration only works with Rally Agile SaaS and version 2.0 or higher of the Rally App SDK.
CA PPM REST APIs
CA PPM REST APIs allow partners and customers to build more flexible integrations that should be compatible with future product releases.The REST APIs feature includes:
- REST APIs for Project and Task Objects: A core set of project and task attributes are accessible using the CA PPM REST APIs.
- Web-based and interactive API documentation where you can execute API commands against your CA PPM instance.
- New Integration Studio object that provides an area where partners and customers can configure and track any integration with CA PPM. The Rally integration utilizes the Integration object and provides an example on how to set up and configure an integration using this new object.
Support Data Scan Job
A new Support Data Scan job is available to assist administrators who are troubleshooting issues with CA Support. The job provides performance diagnostics and data integrity metadata for analysis by CA Support technicians. Administrators can configure the job to send an e-mail message to a specific support engineer with the diagnostics attached. The diagnostic file has the following naming format:
The name begins with PPM Support, is followed by the request type or class name, and ends in the .tab suffix. The tab-delimited format can be viewed in Microsoft Excel. A copy of the file also appears in the logs directory. The following requests are available for execution:
- general_perf_check. Performs a check to determine if there are areas of the product that are configured in a sub optimal manner.
- orphan_record_check. Scans some common tables to determine if orphan records are present.
- scan_large_tables. Performs an analysis on some common tables to determine their record counts.
- oom_perf_check. Examines the configuration of the environment for areas that can contribute to high memory usage.
Note: Run these requests only under the direction of CA Support.The results identify potential problems in data conditions. CA Support is trained on how to interpret the results of these scans.
Post to WIP Job
To ease the process of explicitly posting transactions to WIP by occasionally going to the Post to WIP page, Post to WIP is also available as a background job. Administrators can execute the job immediately or can schedule it to run in the future. The Post to WIP page and the Post to WIP job are different.
- The functionality in the existing Post to WIP page has not changed.
- All financially enabled resources and financially enabled projects appear in their respective Resource and Investment lookups.
- Lookups that display all the resources and projects for the job are different from the existing Post to WIP page behavior.
- The Investments field on the Post to WIP page includes only those investments with transactions that are ready to post. In contrast, the Post to WIP job includes all of the financially enabled investments. All the financially enabled investments appear so users can schedule the job even if no transactions exist for that investment.
Register New Investments for Enable Capitalization Job
This new job ensures that all investments created after an upgrade are also available for processing using the Enable Capitalization job.The Enable Capitalization job is available at any time to process the investments. Run the Register New Investments for Enable Capitalization job after creating the new investments to make all new investments(including any created after a 13.2 upgrade) available to the Enable Capitalization job.
Note: We do not recommend that you use this job on an on going basis.
New Studio Charts
Studio introduces two new chart portlets this release:
- Heat Map: Displays a primary attribute or metric in a two-dimensional grid with values along the X-axis and Y-axis. The primary attribute values are represented using colors or shades of the same color.
- Tree Map: Displays data in a hierarchical tree with branched nodes. Chart values are represented by the relative size of each subgroup. Tree maps feature the progressive disclosure of more detailed information as the user expands each subgroup to reveal child data points. Up to three such grouping levels are supported.
New Aggregate Calculated Attribute
CA PPM provides a new Studio attribute type called Aggregate Calculated Attribute (ACA) that rolls up an attribute value from many sub object instances to the master object. For example, you can define an ACA that rolls up the following values from the sub object instances to the master object:
- Cost values from sub object instances to provide the total cost for the master object.
- Count the number of high priority risks to report on the count for the master object.
User Initials or Personal Photo Avatar in the Header
By default, the initials of the logged-in user appear in the header. Users can upload a photo in the header bar to represent them in the user interface.
Download and install the TIBCO JasperMobile app from the App Store or Google Play. You can then use the JasperMobile app which is developed,provided, and maintained by TIBCO. The CA PPM basic authentication to JasperMobile provides access to Jaspersoft content such as reports, ad-hoc views, and dashboards from your system. CA PPM users can log in to this app using their CA PPM credentials to view their CA PPM report content.
Important! Contact CA Support for any issues that you find with the JasperMobile app. If the case is related to an authentication issue, we will provide you with direct support. If the case is related to a JasperMobile app issue, we will log the case with Jaspersoft and keep you updated when the issue is resolved by Jaspersoft.
You may also leave feedback in the app under Settings.
New User Interface (UI) Theme
A new Studio UI theme (Teal and Grey) is provided with this release. The new theme includes new text font, colors, styling, icons, and images. The administrator can see this new UI theme and select it under Administration, Studio, UI Themes. The images and colors used in this new UI theme apply to this UI theme only and do not affect the other existing UI themes. For example, if you change the UI theme from the new Teal and Grey to the existing Blue UI theme, the new UI theme images are not displayed.
The new UI theme is also available with the Jaspersoft Advanced Reporting area of the product. Users who have this theme set as the current theme in CA PPM see the same look and feel in the embedded Jaspersoft UI (Advanced Reporting pages).
The new UI theme is set automatically for all new installations of CA PPM. However, for upgrading customers with a selected UI theme, the selected UI theme is not changed. The UI theme remains as it was before the upgrade. After the upgrade, the administrator can select the new Teal and Grey UI theme as the current UI theme.
Configure Notifications Default Settings
You can turn on or off notifications for all users at the system level with the Publish function (button) on the Notification Default Settings page. Publish overwrites the notification settings, if any, that individual users set for themselves. With the Save function (button), the administrator can update the notification settings just for users who were created after the administrator last published or saved and for users who did not configure their notification settings at the resource level. Save does not apply to users who modified their notification settings. When you click Publish on the Notification Default Settings page, you apply the settings to all users. However, if users want to change notification settings after you complete the Publish function, they can turn the notification settings on or off just for themselves (Home, Account Settings, Notifications).
Purge Notifications Job
This job performs a bulk deletion of notifications. The job allows you to define the notification type to delete (for example, Timesheet). You can select multiple notification types for deletion. You can also define the date range during which the notifications were created. If you do not specify a date range, the job deletes all notifications for the selected type, assignee, and assignee OBS.
Process Start Condition Improvements
Administrators can now define Create and Update event start conditions from the same process. Previously, you had to create different processes - one for the create condition and another for the update condition. With this release, you can create a single process and define the create and update start conditions for that one process at the same time. This enhancement reduces the number of processes that you need to create.
Microsoft Project Integration Improvements
Continuing with the improvements to the Microsoft Project integration, you can now map static single value lookups from the CA PPM MSP Field Mapping page.
Advanced Reporting Enhancements
The Advanced Reporting updates for this release include the following items:
- Jaspersoft must be upgraded to version 6.1.0
- Jaspersoft with Tomcat7.0.55 and JDK1.8 are the supported platforms to run with this release. For more information, see Jaspersoft 6.1.0 Supported Configurations in these Release Notes.
- You can export, import, and migrate Jaspersoft Advanced Reporting content to facilitate moving Jaspersoft content to a different Jaspersoft server.
- Jaspersoft external authentication with CA PPM is now FIPS compliant. The external authentication code that is used to integrate with Jaspersoft was changed to use AES-128 bit encryption instead of DES. This change allows the external authentication to be FIPS compliant.
- CA Application Portfolio Management (CA APM) is an add-in that helps you manage your application portfolios. Similar to Project Portfolio Management, the goal of CA APM is to ensure that you are investing people and dollars to maximize the value from your resources. By saving money through application rationalization and managing risk, you can ensure that you are delivering the services that are important. CA APM is delivered as part of CA PPM, just like other add-ins. You can decide if you want to install it. There is no additional charge for using this add-in. CA APM allows you to manage your applications and score them based on mission criticality, risk, business value, and technical value. This add-in consists of new CA PPM attributes, sub objects, portlets, and Jaspersoft reports. Organizations that are interested in Application Portfolio Management are generally concerned with a few key questions:
- Which applications can I retire to save money?
- Which applications should I add to my portfolio?
- How can I better manage application risk?
- How are my projects performing on key applications?
Two new Advanced Reporting reports are provided for CA APM:
- Application Assessment Analysisâ€“Compares mission criticality with risk to identify the high-risk critical applications and to help determine which actions to take as a result.
- Application KPI Reportâ€“Similar to the KPIs by Project Type Report.
Cost Type Introduction in Rate Matrix, Transactions, and Chargebacks
The cost type attribute is now available in the following financial management features:
- Cost/Rate matrix: You can assign cost type as a column in the cost/rate matrix (for example, to show a breakdown of actual capital and operating expenses in the cost plans).
- Chargebacks: You can define a cost type for standard and investment-specific debit rules that are associated with chargebacks. The cost type field also appears in the filter section and list pages for debit rules.
- Transactions: You can filter transactions by cost type. The cost type field also appears on the transactions list, create, and edit pages
- WIP Adjustments: The Cost Type field appears on the create and edit WIP adjustment pages and in the filter section of the approve WIP adjustment page. The Cost Type field on these pages is not editable. To adjust this field, change the cost type at the task level or project level (if not using task-level cost types).
Ability to Delete All Cost Plans
You can now delete all detailed cost plans including the plan of record (POR). If you delete all the cost plans, you can again use the financial summary page to define cost planning data for your investments. Deleting the POR or other cost plans does not delete any of the associated budget plans.
Financial Roll up of Investment Hierarchy Includes Currency Conversion
If the investment hierarchy includes child investments with multiple currencies, the financial roll up for the parent investment now includes the converted currency values from the child investments. The product first converts the child investment currencies (for example, Euros) to the parent investment currency (for example, U.S. dollars) using predefined foreign exchange rates. Next, the product aggregates and rolls up the converted currency values from the child investments to the parent investment.
Consider Source Location In Identifying Rates For Non Labor Resources and Roles
The Source Location field for non labor resources/roles now appears in both the Entity property page and the Project Transaction Entry Default Page. You can choose different values (for example, project or resource) as the source location field for non labor resources/roles.
If you create a cost plan (Grouped by: Department/Location), the department/location and cost will be populated based on non labor resource/role source location field.
- Non Labor Resource. If the source location field is Resource, the resource department rate will be selected from the rate matrix as it currently does for the Labor Resources. There are no changes in the functionality for the Labor Resources.
- Non Labor Role. If the source location field is Resource, the staff obs unit rate will be selected from the rate matrix as it current does for the Labor Roles.
The Enable Capitalization job has been enhanced. Where appropriate, such as in existing transactions with Capital, the job can set the transaction cost type from Capital to Operating. The Enable Capitalization job changes the Cost Type value on the posted actual financial WIP transactions.Based on its parameters, the job changes the WIP records in bulk from Operating to Capital or from Capital to Operating.
Jaspersoft Version in the CA PPM About Link
The CA PPM About link, which you can access from the upper right corner of the user interface, has been enhanced. The version of the Jaspersoft application and installer that are integrated with your current product version appear. This information helps you access the correct Jaspersoft documentation from the Jaspersoft Community web site. Also, if you contact CA Support about an issue, this information helps you describe your environment so that the Support technician can gather the necessary information about your issue.
Attribute Value Protection (AVP) Performance Enhancements
List view options for the display of object attributes include a setting called Attribute Value Protection (AVP). The AVP setting includes the following options:
a. Use display conditions and secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list
b. Use only secured subpages to protect attribute values on this list
c. Display all attribute values on this list
In this release, the default AVP setting for new customer deployments changes from (a) to (b). This change improves performance and ease-of-maintenance. The default AVP setting applies to all new objects,sub objects, and grid portlets that display attributes.
- For new customer deployments, the AVP setting is set to (b).
- For existing customer deployments after an upgrade to this release, the AVP setting remains set to the same option in use before the upgrade.
Large File Size Enforcement
Previous releases allowed large documents over 10 MB to be uploaded to the application server before validating the maximum size was not exceeded. Increased load on the server could lead to memory errors. This release enhances enforcement of file size constraints at the user interface or client level before they are uploaded. When a user attempts to upload a large file, the following error appears if the validation determines that the file is too large:
Row Limit for Large Queries with Aggregated Calculations
The existing NSQL row limit introduced in Release 13.2 is extended in this release to include stock and custom objects. When you apply an aggregated calculation to a list with over 50,000 entries, a message appears to remind you that the calculation includes only the first 50,000records. You can apply a filter to reduce the number of resulting records. You can also remove aggregation and view the entire result set one page at a time.
Exports to Excel also consume a large amount of memory. For this reason, exports are also constrained to between 25,000 and 50,000 rows.
Tip: To calculate aggregate totals on large data sets, use a report or summary portlet instead of paging through a standard grid portlet.
Copy Team and Copy Financial Properties from Idea to Investment
A new Copy Team check box enables you to copy any team staffing data from an idea to a target investment. This new functionality is available when you convert an idea to a project (including projects based on a template) or any other type of investment. In Release13.3, a similar check box named Copy Financial Properties and Financial Plans was introduced on the conversion page for an idea.
In this release, both check boxes are selected by default to copy any team and financial data from the idea to the investment.
As an administrator, you can also define a system action in a process that includes these copy options when converting ideas. In the idea conversion process, these options are set to No and are not copied by default.
UI Theme CSS Validation
CA PPM Studio automatically validates the cascading style sheet (CSS) code for any UI themes that you configure. The existing CodeMirror editor, which is a placeholder for CSS UI themes, is enhanced to perform validation. The editor highlights any errors and warnings with the help of the CSSLint framework. This feature prevents the submission of invalid UI themes.This enhancement does not affect existing UI themes; it only validates new themes. The XML Open Gateway (XOG) is also extended to perform CSS validation and to block invalid UI themes.