| || |
Data Center Virtualization
Utilizing VSphere, consolidate data center hardware and enable business continuity through server virtualization, VM-aware storage and live migration capabilities. Share data center resources across the boundaries of clusters. Get stronger virtualization security with enhanced endpoint protection. Investigate storage configurations with vSphere API for Storage Awareness.
- Server Virtualization: Virtualization is a proven software technology that makes it possible to run multiple operating systems and applications on the same server at the same time. Virtualization can increase IT agility, flexibility, and scalability while creating significant cost savings. Workloads get deployed faster, performance and availability increases and operations become automated, resulting in IT that's simpler to manage and less costly to own and operate.
- VM-Aware Storage: Virtual Volumes is an integration and management framework for external storage that provides finer control at the VM-level and streamlines storage operation. It implements the core tenets of the VMware software-defined storage vision, with storage centered around the VM rather than on the physical infrastructure.
- API and Policy Driven Storage Capabilities: VMware vSphere API for Storage Awareness (VASA) allows vSphere to both investigate storage configurations and to set storage properties for arrays that support this functionality. VASA is used by vSphere Virtual Volumes, Virtual SAN and vSphere APIs for IO Filtering (VAIO) as the single unified control plane for vSphere storage. Storage vendors can use the VASA to provide vSphere with information about specific disk arrays for tighter integration between storage and the virtual infrastructure. On software-defined storage, Storage Policy-Based Management (SPBM) lets you capture storage requirements (capacity, performance, availability, etc.) for applications in logical templates called VM storage policies. For VMFS and NFS datastores running on traditional LUN-based storage, SPBM enables profile-driven management based on pre-allocations of storage resources and capabilities.
- Live Migration of Workloads: vSphere vMotion allows you to move an entire running virtual machine from one physical server to another, without downtime. The virtual machine retains its network identity and connections, ensuring a seamless migration process. Transfer the virtual machine's active memory and precise execution state over a high-speed network, allowing the virtual machine to switch from running on the source vSphere host to the destination vSphere host. This entire process takes less than two seconds on a gigabit Ethernet network. This capability is possible over virtual Switches, vCenter Servers, and even long distances.
- Protect VM and Data: vSphere Data Protection provides agent-less, image-level virtual machine backups to disk. It also provides application-aware protection for business-critical Microsoft applications (Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint) along with WAN-efficient, encrypted backup data replication. Features include variable-length deduplication, application-aware backups, single step recovery and direct-to-host emergency restores.
- Ensure System Uptime: Minimize downtime with uniform, cost-effective failover protection against hardware and operating system outages within your virtualized environment with vSphere High Availability (HA). Monitor hosts and virtual machines and automatically restart virtual machines on other hosts in the cluster when an outage is detected. HA provides uniform, automated protection for all applications without modifications to the application or guest operating system.
- Share Data Center Resources: Manage VM templates, vApps, ISO images and scripts from a central location. Organize the content into libraries, which can be individually configured and managed. Once libraries are created, share content across the boundaries of vCenter Servers and ensure consistency across your data center. Deploy VM templates directly onto a host or cluster for a consistent provisioning experience.
- Endpoint Security: Strengthen virtualization security with enhanced endpoint protection by offloading anti-virus processing to a secure virtual appliance supplied by VMware partners. Housing anti-virus and anti-malware client software in a hardened virtual machine protects it from attack. Give access to third-party logging and auditing tools if desired. Automate anti-virus and anti-malware deployment and monitoring while satisfying compliance and audit requirements with activity logs. Predefined policies control whether malicious files are quarantined or deleted.